I started out as the lessons suggested, first making my stitch bible and then I got into the couching and decorative stitching (you can see some of this in this previous post). This is where I just couldn't stay the course...
As is so often the case, I started to stray from the lessons and play around with my own ideas. I cut away a bit here, machine appliquéd some pieces on there...etc.
I then cut away the two side strips and because I just can't seem to waste anything, they became another small piece that you can see here.
What I had left was then layered over a larger black piece of fabric, hand stitched and quilted to within an inch of it's life, and then I added some beading and buttons on the lower part as well as big, fun buttons on top to create the hanging loops.
Here are a few detail shots:
And here is the finished piece: